This nourishing breakfast can be prepared the night before and provides an excellent balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrate. The soaking enhances digestibility and increases mineral absorption. Leftovers make a delicious evening snack or can be enjoyed the next morning. If you like, replace some of the soymilk with non-dairy yogurt. Perfect for vegans and vegetarians.
- 3 cups (750ml) rolled oats or other rolled grains
- ½ cup (125ml) raisins or other dried fruit
- ½ cup (125ml) chopped walnuts, almonds or other nuts
- 1tsp (5ml) cinnamon
- 4 cups (1 L) fortified soymilk or other nondairy milk
- 4 cups (1 L) fresh fruit (such as blueberries or chopped peach, apple, or mango)
- ¼ cup (60ml) ground flax seeds or chia seeds
- Firstly, in a medium bowl, combine oats, raisins, nuts, cinnamon, non-dairy milk, and fruit.
- Then, refrigerate overnight. Alternatively, soak oats in milk overnight and chopped fruit may be stirred in just before serving to preserve color and nutrition.
- Finally, top with seeds and serve.