I am not a big fan of sweet breakfast, especially I do not like my oats to be sweet, that’s why I always search for new recipes. So, here is a delicious twist on hot steel-cut oats. Optional toppings might be pumpkin seeds, sunflower, hemp seeds, flax, chia or sesame seeds, nutritional yeast, sprouts, chopped green onions, parsley.
- 3 cups water or broth
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup steel-cut oats,
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 tsp herbs such as basil, oregano, thyme, tarragon, or turmeric (optional)
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 2 cups chopped leafy greens (kale, collards, etc.)
- 1 cup beans or chickpeas, cooked or canned
- Firstly, place water, onion, mushrooms, oats, red pepper, tamari, garlic, and optional herbs and pepper in a large pot.
- Secondly, stir, bring to a boil, then simmer on lowest heat for about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the greens and beans and warm through (2 to 3 minutes). Serve hot. Refrigerate leftovers to be warmed for another meal.
Order organic chia seeds here