Mayonnaise is an emulsified sauce which once more illustrates the magical power of egg yolks. Smooth and delicious this classic sauce is very easy to make.
- 2 egg yolks
- Pepper (freshly grounded)
- 250 ml not-scented oil
- 1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tsp lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the egg yolks, mustard, 2 pinches of salt and pepper to taste.
- Start adding the oil in a steady trickle, whisking energetically until the oil is absorbed and the mixture turns pale yellow and thickens.
- Loosen the consistency with the wine vinegar and lemon juice, then whisk in the remaining oil. Taste and add some seasoning if needed.
- Store in a covered container for 2 – 3 days
Tip: All the ingredients have to be in room temperature, if it is too cold it will be hard to incorporate.