Time: 3h 30 min
For the dough:
- 1,5 tsp active dry yeast
- 1,5 cups warm water (~43ºC or 110ºF) (divided)
- ½ tsp salt
- 3,5 to 3,75 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
For the topping
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- One ball fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese (~230g or 8-oz) cut into small pieces
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- Take yeast and put it together with ½ cup of warm water into large mixing bowl. Allow yeast to dissolve and let it sit to proof for about 10 min.
- Thoroughly combine remaining cup of warm water with yeast, then add the salt and 3 cups of flour. When all this is done, mix it either with mixer or your hands. If needed, add more flour to ensure the dough stays together.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until it’s soft rather than sticky.
- Grease a large mixing bowl with 1 tbsp oil and coat the dough by turning it a few times in the bowl. Using plastic wrap, tightly cover the bowl and let dough rise in a warm spot for about 2 hours.
- Prepare the oven. Preheat it to about 220ºC or 425ºF.
- Remove dough from the bowl and knead it on lightly floured surface for a couple of minutes, then cut it in half. Using your hands, stretch and flatten each piece on a floured surface into about 30cm or 12-in round.
- Lay each of them on an oiled 33cm or 13-in pizza pan (ordinary pan is also good for this job). Form a rim by turning the dough edges in about 1,5cm or ½-in.
- Using a basting brush, coat each dough round with 1 tbsp oil. Cover each of them with ¼ cup of tomato sauce, sprinkle on cheese and garnish with basil leaves. Add salt and remaining 1 tbsp oil.
- Bake pizzas until crust is browned. This will take about 25-30 min.