One of the best known traditional Thailand meals – Pad thai! I probably never met a person who doesn’t like a good quality Pad Thai, that would be just crazy. Additionally, this Pad Thai recipe is with accessible ingredients that are fully customizable.
- 3– 4 ounces (85 – 120g) dry pad thai noodles or simply known as rice noodles
- hot water to cover noodles
- 6–8 ounces (170-230g) tofu (as you want, you can also use chicken or prawns)
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp peanut oil or coconut oil
- 1 large fat shallot, diced finely
- 3–4 garlic cloves (chopped )
- 1 tsp chopped ginger (optional)
- 2 eggs, whisked with a generous pinch of salt
Pad Thai Sauce:
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar (brown or coconut)
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- chilli flakes to taste
- juice of ½ lime
- First of all, add pad thai noodles in a shallow baking dish and boil water to cover them. Cover it with boiling water for around 6- 8 minutes, until it gets tender, then drain.
- While noodles are cooking, slice chicken (prawns or tofu) into very thin strips, and season it with salt and pepper. Although, If you are using tofu then firstly dry tofu with paper towels. Cut tofu into ¾ inch cubes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken or shrimp or tofu in a wok with hot peanut or coconut oil until cooked through over medium-high heat. Set aside.
- Then, chop shallot, ginger and garlic very finely. Also, set aside.
- In a bowl whisk the two eggs with a fork and add, a generous pinch of salt.
- Also, in another bowl, mix fish sauce, rice vinegar, and soy sauce with sugar.
- Time to cook. Heat 2 tbsp of peanut or vegetable oil in the wok, add shallot, garlic ginger and stir, cook until it gets golden and smells nice.
- Furthermore, make a well in the centre of the pan, and add there the prepared eggs. With a metal spatula, scramble egg and break them apart into little bits. Then, incorporate them into the shallots and garlic, continuing to break them into small bits.
- Add the cooked noodles and mix with the egg mixture, keep stirring for a few minutes. Noodles have to become soft and pliable.
- Finally, add the Pad Thai Sauce and your chosen protein: chicken, tofu or shrimp. Again, stir and toss the noodles for a couple of minutes. Additionally, If it seems too dry pour some water Add the bean sprouts and peanuts and it is time to sprinkle with chilli flakes and scallions. Squeeze the lime. Serve immediately,
- As a result, you will get a tasty dish which you can garnish with bean sprouts, cilantro or basil, lime wedges and roasted crushed peanuts.
Pad thai noodles used in this recipe, check it on Amazon: