This German meatloaf recipe is perfect for a busy evening meal, it can be prepared in several minutes. The only ingredient you need to chop is an onion. You can prepare meatloaf recipe ahead of time. Refrigerate meatloaf until you are ready to eat.
I believe the trick to the best meatloaf recipe is to use lean ground beef. The problem with most of the meatloaf recipes is that they use high-fat ground beef. As the meatloaf cooks, all the fat cooks out and it gets a greasy mess. Although that’s not the case in this recipe.
- 1 lb ( 450 g) 90% lean ground beef
- 1 cup (136 g) bread crumbs
- half onion (bigger one)
- 1/2 (170 g) cup milk
- 1 large, beaten egg
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp dried parsley leaves
- 3/4 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
For the Topping:
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180°C).
- In a bowl, mix the beef, bread crumbs, milk, egg, onion, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix it with your hands to mush until it’s well combined.
- Add the mixture to a loaf pan. Add the meat into an even layer.
- In another bowl, add ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar. Stir it well. Then, pour the sauce on the meatloaf.
- Bake uncovered for 50 – 60 minutes.
- Before serving let it rest for 8 – 10 minutes.
The best meatloaf pan I could find so far. Check it on Amazon: