In original, authentic Italian Caprese salad you do not use eggplant, but I just love to grill eggplants. It tastes so delicious in this recipe. Also, if I have seasonal fresh green leaves I just add them as well, like arugula, spinach or something else. It is a tasty, simple and sophisticated recipe which you can make for actually any occasion. It would be great for a party or if you want to enjoy something fresh and creamy. Don’t forget that it’s also a perfect vegetarian appetizer.
- 3 -ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 eggplant
- 1 pound (450g) fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 20 leaves fresh basil
- extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Firstly, slice the eggplant and sprinkle some salt on them, you will see how eggplant will release water. Dry it with a paper towel, drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil and put it on a grill for 5 minutes. Let it cool.
- Secondly, slice tomatoes and mozzarella in even slices.
- Thirdly, layer slices of tomatoes, grilled eggplant and mozzarella, adding a basil leaf between each, on a shallow plate. Drizzle with olive oil and season with some salt and pepper, to taste.