- 1 medium size cabbage
- 1-3 tbsp sea salt
- Chop or shred cabbage.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Knead the cabbage with clean hands or pound with a potato masher or cabbage crusher about 10 minutes or until there is enough liquid to cover.
- Stuff the cabbage into a quart jar, pressing the cabbage underneath the liquid. If necessary, add a bit of water to completely cover cabbage.
- Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70 °F is preferred) for at least 2 weeks until desired flavor and texture are achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the sauerkraut is finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage.
- The sauerkraut’s flavor will continue to develop as it ages.