Skip to content
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in ground sausage and ground beef. Break the meat into small pieces using a spoon. Add onion and garlic. Cook until meat is well browned, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar, fresh basil, fennel oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, and ¼ cup chopped parsley. Pour in crushed tomatoes together with tomato paste and tomato sauce. Add chicken broth and stir well until simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place lasagna noodles into the bottom of a pan. Pour hot tap water directly over the noodles, make sure the pasta is completely immersed in the water. Let them soak for 30 minutes, then drain and discard water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining 2 tbsp parsley, ½ tsp salt, and nutmeg. Refrigerate until ready to assemble the lasagna.
- Preheat oven to 190 °. Lightly grease a deep 9×13 pan.
- To assemble, spread about 1 cup of meat sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan. Place 4 noodles on top. Spread with ⅓ of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with ¼ of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 ½ cups meat sauce over mozzarella, then sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layering two more times to create three complete layers. To finish, place a final layer of pasta, topped with another 1 cup of meat sauce to cover the pasta. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, bake an additional 25 minutes to allow the cheese to brown. Serve hot.