- 450 g sweet Italian sausage
- 450 g lean ground beef
- 1 large white onion minced
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 can (440 g) crushed tomatoes
- 2 packs (170 g) can tomato paste
- 1 can (425 g) tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- 14 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (divided)
- 450 g lasagna noodles
- 850 g ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 450 g deli sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in ground sausage and ground beef. Break the meat into small pieces using spoon. Add onion and garlic. Cook until meat is well browned, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar, fresh basil, fennel oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, and ¼ cup chopped parsley. Pour in crushed tomatoes together with tomato paste and tomato sauce. Add chicken broth and stir well until simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place lasagna noodles into the bottom of a pan. Pour hot tap water directly over the noodles, make sure the pasta is completely immersed in the water. Let them soak for 30 minutes, then drain and discard water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining 2 tbsp parsley, ½ tsp salt and nutmeg. Refrigerate until ready to assemble lasagna.
- Preheat oven to 190 °. Lightly grease a deep 9×13 pan.
- To assemble, spread about 1 cup of meat sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan. Place 4 noodles on top. Spread with ⅓ of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with ¼ of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 ½ cups meat sauce over mozzarella, then sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layering two more times to create three complete layers. To finish, place a final layer of pasta, topped with another 1 cup of meat sauce to cover the pasta. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, bake an additional 25 minutes to allow cheese to brown. Serve hot.