- 1 kg potatoes
- Half medium-sized onion
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- Ground nutmeg to taste
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup oil (vegetable for frying)
- Peel and grate potatoes.
- Place the grated potatoes in a clean dishcloth or cheesecloth and squeeze as much of the liquid as you can out into a bowl. Let the liquid stand a few minutes, then carefully drain, leaving potato starch at the bottom of the bowl. Add the potatoes back to the starch.
- Grate the onion over the potatoes. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and egg. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. You can use a nonstick pan and just a few drops of oil if you wish. For best results use only ⅛ to ¼ inch of oil.
- Drop about ½ cup of potato mixture into hot oil and flatted with the back of a spoon. Fry 4-5 minutes on each side (or until golden brown).
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot with applesauce and or sour cream.