Who doesn’t like some tasty perfect fried chicken? Did you know that in Japan KFC fried chicken is even a traditional meal during Christmas? It’s a great balance between the unhealthy and healthy dish, if you like take away fried chicken then try making it at home, it tastes even better homemade, because you can balance the ingredients by yourself.
- 2 whole free-range chickens
- vegetable oil (for frying the chicken)
- 6 cups (770g) all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- spicy BBQ sauce
- Let’s begin with cutting. Firstly, cut the whole chickens into about 4 breasts, 4 legs, 4 thighs and 4 wings, set everything aside.
- Preheat vegetable oil, to 325 degrees °F (160°C).
- In a bowl, mix the flour, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and salt. Also, Set aside.
- Into another bowl pour the buttermilk, it has to be large enough to put the chicken inside.
- Place your chicken in a bowl. Next, to it, place your bowl of buttermilk, and also, next to that, put your dry mixture.
- Take your chicken breasts, lightly dust them with flour mixture, then dip chicken in the buttermilk until they are coated, and only then place them in the flour mixture.
- Aggressively push the flour mixture into the wet chicken (this part is very important because flour mixture has to stick). Finally, gently place the breasts in your hot oil. Repeat the steps with other pieces of chicken. Start with the biggest parts of the chicken to smallest.
- When you put the last piece of chicken into the fryer. Set a timer for 15 minutes.
- After about15 minutes, remove the chicken. Remember that chicken will continue to cook after it has been removed from the oil.
- Let the chicken drain for 5 minutes. Let cool for an additional 10 minutes before eating. Don’t burn your tongue!
- Enjoy fried chicken with your favourite sauce, I recommend spicy BBQ sauce.