Snails or escargot sound like a fancy appetizer which you can’t enjoy very often although when I first tried it I was shocked how easy it was. Also, it is really yummy and snails are full of protein. Check this French recipe.
How to prepare fresh snails for cooking?
You can buy canned snails or you can prepare them by yourself which is also not so hard to do.
- If it is so fresh that you collected them or bought just picked in nature then you will need to put snails in the bag made of cloth and wait for 4 days until snails will clean itself.
- Use a knife to remove the white membrane covering the opening in the shell.
- Put all the snails in a pot and fill it with plenty of fresh water. Add a little bit of vinegar and salt.
- Through away any snails that float to the top.
- Take about two snails in your hands at one time and rub them. Set them aside and continue with others, until you finish your batch.
- Throw out the water after the snails have been cleaned. Refill with fresh clean water and repeat the process. Repeat the process until the water in which you clean snails is seethrough and not white anymore after cleaning
- Rinse the snails well.
Now snails are ready for cooking
Snails with garlic butter
- 9 canned snails, rinsed and drained (or prepared by yourself)
- 40 ml white wine
- 60 g room temperature butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt to taste
- Firstly prepare the stock for the snails. Add the butter in a heavy-bottomed pan and place over medium heat. Then lightly stirring add snails and shallots.
- Add white wine and bring it to a boil it will take only a few minutes most of the liquid has to evaporate. Don’t boil it too much because snails become hard to chew.
- Put the snails one by one into snail shells tray or if you have it then back to a snail house.
- Mix the room temperature butter, parsley, garlic, salt and breadcrumbs in a separate bowl.
- Add a teaspoon of the garlic butter with each snail.
- Preheat oven to 200°C and cook snails for about 5 minutes, until butter, is melted and it looks bubbling and hot.