This classic French beef stew is the best cold-weather healthy comfort food. Which h you can also freeze for up to 3 months, just take out the potatoes (the does not freeze well). When you defrost it you can add freshly boiled potatoes if you wish. Also, you freeze it into ice cubes tray and use this stew for sauces. Delicious!
- 3 pounds (1300g) boneless beef, cut into 1 inch (2,5 cm) pieces
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grounded black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch (2,5cm) chunks
- 7 smashed cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (32g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (230 ml) dry red wine
- 2 cups (230 ml) beef broth
- 2 cups (230 ml) of water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1-1/2 tsp sugar
- 4 peeled carrots, cut into 1-inch (2,5 cm) chunks
- 1 pound (450 g) small white potatoes, cut in half
- First of all, preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Pat your beef dry and season it with the salt and pepper. In a large heavy soup pot, heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil over medium heat until it gets hot. Brown beef each side for about 5 minutes per side; add one tbsp more oil for each side. Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic, onions, and balsamic vinegar; cook while stirring with a wooden spoon, for about 5 minutes. Then add the tomato paste and cook for about a minute. Add your beef with beef juices back to the pan and sprinkle everything with all-purpose flour. Stir until the flour is dissolved. Pour in the red wine, beef broth, water, thyme, bay leaf, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Cover the pot with a lid, put it to the preheated oven for 2 hours. Don’t forget it! Put a timer not to forget. You would be surprised how many people forget that they cook in the oven.
- Remove the pot from the oven and add cut carrots and potatoes. Cover with the lid and place back in the oven for one more hour more, or just until the vegetables are completely cooked, the broth should be thickened, and the beef perfectly is tender. Serve the stew warm. This stew improves in flavor if you serve after at least 1 day. If you desire you can garnish with parsley.
Soup pt perfect for this tasty beef stew recipe, check it on Amazon: