Beans and greens are basic staples of every healthy, whole foods plant-based diet! This is a great way to start the day. For a complete meal, serve with cooked oat groats, barley or sweet potatoes. This recipe is perfect for vegetarian and vegan lovers.
- 3 cups (750 ml) cooked Great Northern or other white beans
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp tamari (reduce to 1-2 tsp if using salted canned beans)
- 3/4 cup fresh, homemade coconut milk (or canned light coconut milk) or cashew milk 2 cups fresh greens, chopped Pepper to taste
- Firstly, in a medium-sized saucepan, braise onions and garlic in water and tamari for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Then, add cooked beans and greens, cover and cook for another 5 minutes (if using a very tender green such as spinach, warm the beans first and add the spinach, cooking another minute until wilted).
- Finally, add the coconut cashew milk and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes. Serve hot.