This quick and easy baked oatmeal is welcome comfort food. It is rich in soluble fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytochemicals. It is a lovely dish to add variety, to serve to company, or for festive occasions. Be creative with the seasonings and the fruit. Try adding fresh grated nutmeg, allspice or cardamom. Instead of apples, use pears, bananas or blueberries.
- 2 1/2cups (625ml) rolled oats (not instant)
- ½ cup (120ml) raisins, chopped prunes or other dried fruit
- ¼ cup (60ml) unsweetened coconut
- 4 small/medium apples, diced
- 1 tbsp(15ml) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2ml) cloves
- ¼ cup (60ml) sunflower seeds
- ½ cup (125ml) walnuts, chopped
- 4 cups (1 L) non-dairy milk
- ½ tsp (2ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- Firstly, mix following ingredients in a deep 9 x 13 in (23 x 33 cm) casserole dish.
- Then, sprinkle the top with cinnamon. Bake uncovered at 350 F (175 C) for 45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Finally, serve with non-dairy milk, cashew pear cream (optional)and ground flax or chia seeds.