For the strudel dough:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (melted) (~55g)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (200g)
- 1 pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup water lukewarm (80ml)
For the apple filling:
- ⅓ cup golden raisins (50g)
- 1 tbsp rum
- 4 medium apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100g)
- ¼ cup almonds finely chopped (30g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted (90g)
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- In the big bowl combine melted butter, flour, salt and lukewarm water. Mix at medium speed using mixer for about 1 minute or until smooth and elastic dough forms.
- In a small saucepan bring some water to a boil, then remove the pot from the heat, empty the pot and dry it with a dish towel.
- Line the pot with a sheet of parchment paper, put the dough into the pot and put the lid on. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- While preheating, in a small bowl combine raisins and rum. Let sit for 30 minutes. Then discard the rum.
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into small stripes. Combine apples with lemon juice. Add cinnamon, sugar, raisins, almonds and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Lay a thin kitchen towel preferably with a pattern flat on the counter. Sprinkle some flour. Roll the dough out as thin as you can. Brush it with a little bit of melted butter.
- Then use your hands to carefully stretch it until it is about 18×12 inches (45-30 cm) big and you’re able to see the pattern of the dish towel through the dough.
- Brush half of the melted butter over the rolled out dough.
- Make it that way, that the long side faces you. On the right side of the rectangle leave a few inches space, then sprinkle the breadcrumbs top to bottom over the dough in a 6-inch thick line. Leave a 2-inch margin at the top and bottom of the strip.
- Pile the apple filling on top of the breadcrumbs. Use a slotted spoon so the liquid stays in the bowl.
- Fold the 2-inch margin at the top and bottom of the dough over onto the filling then roll up the strudel from the short side with the help of the towel. Tuck the ends.
- Carefully transfer the Strudel to the prepared baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with a lil bit of melted butter.
- Bake for about 50 minutes in the lower third of the oven or until lightly golden on top. Brush strudel with remaining melted butter every 20 min while in the oven.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes then sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.