Apple pie always reminds me of home, the smell of this pie is so cozy and at least in Lithuania we always have too much apples during Autumn season so it is perfect time to make this amazing apple pie recipe.
- 2 ½ cups (320 g) flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup (170 g) butter, 1 1/2 sticks, cold, cubed
- 8 tbsp of ice water
- 2 ½ lb (1 kg) apples, sliced, cored and peeled
- ¾ cup (150 g) white granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ lemon
- 1 beaten egg
- In a bowl, add salt and flour. Mix until combined.
- Add in butter, mixture will have to have small lumps about the size of peas.
- Add the water and continue mixing until the dough starts to be even. You may not need all of the water which is written in ingredients, but if the dough is looks too dry then you can add more.
- Combine the apple pie dough together with your hands. Form a ball and cover with wrap. Refrigerate.
- Prepare apples (peel, core and slice.
- In a medium bowl, add the prepared apples, flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice. Mix until all apples are coated. Also, refrigerate.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (200°C).
- Cut the pie dough in half on a floured surface and roll out both halves until it is round.
- Add the rolled dough onto a pie dish make sure that the dough reaches all edges. Trim extra dough if necessary.
- Add in apple filling. Put on on top of your pie the other half of the dough. Pinch the edges to create a crusty crimp. Edges have to be sealed together.
- Brush the pie with the egg (beaten) and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Cut four openings in the top of the pie to create like a vent.
- Bake a pie for around 60 minutes or until pie gets golden brown.
- Allow to completely cool before you slice it. Serve with ice cream and whipped cream.