Alternative things to do in Berlin

The first thing you should do before traveling to Berlin is to learn the history of Germany. Well, at least just read the main facts, because it is THE city where history is so visible. If you do not understand what Berlin went through the past 100 years then you won’t be able to understand why the things are as they are. Those are my top 6 alternative things to do in Berlin, Germany what to do if you don’t want just to follow tourist’s path.

6 Things to do in Berlin, Germany

1. Dome of Reichstag

This government building’s dome is one of the most impressive domes in the world and it is open to the public. You can get inside and admire this incredible building from the inside. Make sure to book your tickets in advance, because preregistration usually fills up very fast. Also, you will get like three letters where you have to confirm your information, so do not miss these emails, because I did it once and couldn’t get in.

However, if this happens that you can’t register online, then go to Reichstag and on the other side of the street there will be a small building where you can book your visit for the same day. Although, if it is possible go earlier, because a lot of people tries to get in the dome.

Reichstag Dome

2. Memorial to the Murdered  Jews of Europe

Berlin is dotted with memorials which reminds of its troubled 20th century’s history. It documents the evil of Nazi power which changed so many people life.

I was deeply touched and overwhelmed with emotions when I visited the Holocaust Memorial and museum, I couldn’t keep my tears while reading all those personal letters and hearing tragical stories. My whole body was shivering from this inhumanity.

Jews memorial

The museum is under the memorial, so you spend for about an hour in a basement without any windows filled with all those memories of Holocaust tragedy and the feeling of death. I can’t forget one Jewish women’s story how she begged the Nazi officer to take her son and mother with him, because she believed that they will bring her family to work and they will be safe there. At that time she didn’t know that she just sent her only son and mother to death, to the gas chamber.

Jews museum

Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe is on a 19,000 square meters site in which there are placed 2711 concrete slabs of different heights. The meaning of this installation is a free for interpretation and it usually gives visitors a feeling of uncertainty.

Opening hours:

Apr – Sep: Tue – Sun 10:00am – 8:00pm,

Oct – Mrc: Tue – Sun 10:00am – 7:00pm

3. Brandenburg Gates

It is Germany’s best known landmark which is impossible to miss, because it is so close near Reichstag and Holocaust Memorial. It was a symbol of German division and Berlin during Cold War, now it became a national symbol of unity and peace.

Branderburg gates

4. Abandoned Teufelsberg

It is hard to explain in words how excited I am about this place! Teufelsberg (Translation is Devil’s hill) is an abandoned US and Great Britain listening station which was built on a man-made hill which hides Nazi’s military/technical college. Crazy, right?

It can be a bit confusing so let’s start from the beginning. When Nazis were in power the Allies tried to destroy that military-technical college many times using explosives, although the buildings were impossible to destroy. Although, it was hidden by tons and tons of rubble, creating this huge 80 meters high mountain. When Berlin Wall fell, in 1961 the British and US realized the big advantage of being this high on Germany’s capital. They installed those structures of listening station that still stand in Teufelsberg today.

Photo by Felipe Tofani

After Cold War and Pact of Warsaw collapsed, the Teufelsberg station wasn’t useful anymore for Western spies that’s why it was abandoned. An interesting, empty building in the middle of Berlin was noticed by many graffiti artists and now it is one of the largest graffiti galleries in Europe.

Now, visitors can legally tour Teufelsberg, although this summer I have been two times to Berlin and I couldn’t enter Teufelsberg. I hope you will be more lucky.

The opening hours:

Thu – Mon 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM

Price: 5

5. East Side Gallery

Rediscover art and the history of the Berlin Wall while taking a walk by 1316 meters East Side Gallery. It is the longest section of the Berlin Wall which is still in existence. In 1990, 118 artists from 21 countries began painting the East Side Gallery and the next year it officially got a protected memorial status. Keep in mind that you will have to wait in line in front of the most popular paintings like “Fraternal Kiss”.

East Side Gallery
East Side Gallery

6. Berlin TV tower

Berlin TV tower you can notice from any part of the city. It is 368 meters and and it is the highest building which is open to public. A 360 degree panoramic view of the entire city is just astonishing!

Book your time in TV tower online to skip all those lines and if you are hungry there is also a restaurant where you can enjoy cold beer and curry wurst.

Opening hours:

March to October: Daily from 9 a.m. to midnight

November to February:Daily from 10 a.m. to midnight.

Before traveling to Berlin is to learn the history of Germany.

inCollage_20180930_171051187.jpg

Advertisements

52 Comments Add yours

1. Emma says:

Berlin has long been on my list. Great post with some good ideas on things to see. Would love to see more pics from the East side gallery

1. East Side Gallery is so astonishing. I will add more photos of it 🙂

2. stralthy says:

Your photos are really nice! I’ll save this for later and def going to refer back to it if I’ll ever get to visit Berlin.

Anna // http://www.stralthy.com

3. weatthesea says:

What a great list of ‘other’ things to do. I live guides like this. Will be sharing! 💙

1. Thanks for such a great words! 🙂

4. Ahhh this blog post just gave me an itch to book a flight back to Berlin! I went in 2013, but I didn’t have the chance to visit the Abandoned Teufelsberg! I’ll definitely need to check it out when I go back, it seems super interesting ! Great post/pictures!

1. I just recently found Teufelsberg, also it is not so easy to get there, so make sure to check if it will work. The view there is worth every effort 🙂

5. Amber says:

I would love to do all of these things in Berlin. I need to get there one day. There seems to be lots to see and do.

1. You should Amber, Berlin is amazing city 🙂

6. Papa Jack says:

What a wonderful time to travel online with your stories. Feels like I have toured the whole Berlin your stories. Continue writing!

1. Thank you and I will! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

7. delhifundos2014 says:

Berlin our dream place./ And also in our hot list to do in next year. This list is a great list. Thanks for sharing the list

1. I hope it will be uswful for your trip 🙂

8. Wow thanks for sharing this. We are planning to visit Berlin next year, and this article is full of ideas on what we could do during our trip. Great post!

1. I hope my tips will help you plan your trip better 😉

9. Brandenburg Gates are such a landmark! That’s where I’d want to spend time taking photos while in Berlin! The art gallery looks as nice too.

1. Also, the Reichstag dome is a great place for pictures 🙂

Liked by 1 person

10. Jessi Joachim says:

I have been wanting to visit Germany! It looks like there are a lot of fun things to do ver there, and it would just be really cool to see all of the historical sposts as well.

1. Germany is amazing and you should definitelly visit it 🙂

11. I have been to Berlin. It is really lovely. However I loved reading your post.

1. Thanks for good words 🙂

12. The Jewish memorial is one that I would want to visit. I can image it being a quiet place for people.

1. I didn’t believe that this place would affect me this much, but yes Jewish memorial is a place which is worth visiting.

13. I went to Berlin a few years ago on a long weekend with friends and loved it! I did all the things on your list and some more! The food there was so nice!

1. I love German currywurst 😊

14. amaixico says:

I went to Munich a few years ago, but I want to visit Berlin and I hope to do it soon!
    The Jewish Memorial is at the top of my list, I visited a concentration camp in Dachau and it was so emotional and sad.
    Love your post.

1. I think you will love Berlin, it is so artistic and free 🙂

15. Tessa G says:

We were in Berlin about 20 years ago, and it was incredible how much damage there still was from the war – notably, steeples from churches that had been destroyed, and still hadn’t been repaired. A lot of history there, and I think it’s really important to visit the memorials, to remind us of the horrors of war.

1. As I mentioned Berlin is the city where you really see its history

16. Berlin has a great history. I would love to visit Berlin one day, though I am not into history.

1. You just need to know main facts about history and trust Berlin is worth it 😉

17. heidifowler says:

I would love to visit Berlin. There is so much history there! Lucky you.

1. You should visit it one day 🙂

18. Vaibhav says:

Have been to Germany but explored the Black forest and windmill region. Would love to see Berlin from upclose and explore more too! Good post this

1. I wouls love to go to those regions 🙂

19. Nice read! Have been in Berlin two times, but there would still be a lot to see in the city. And yes, I agree that it’s important to understand the history, basically everywhere you travel.

1. I love how free Berlin is now and so artistic 🙂

20. Joanna says:

I have only been to Berlin once, for a day, and I have visited 4 of the 6 attractions in your list. I didn’t really liked the capital of Germany though. Maybe I need to visit again, who knows, I might change my opinion.

1. Which parts of Germany did you like?

21. Such a lovely post with great pictures to go with. I just love the architecture of the city especially the Dome of Reichstag. Just brilliant

1. Thanks 🙂 yes the architecture there is amazing 🙂

22. Devyani Ray says:

Such a lovely post and great pictures!

23. Blair villanueva says:

Thanks for sharing this guide. When i visit Berlin, i’ll make sure that i will include paying respect to the Memorial. I think that’s important.

1. It is! The whole place is breath taking and worth a visti 😉

24. Although its sad to think of , the memorial looks very interesting and I would like to see that!

1. It is really interesting 🙂

25. Sigrid Says Blog says:

Oh I wanna have that kiss by that kissing wall! hihihi I really wanna visit Berlin someday. 🙂

1. Actually, I don’t even know this girl 😀 I just met her by the wall. It’s crazy 😂

26. Tania says:

Wow! Stunning blog post! Such an enjoyable read! Went last year and the jewish museum was the best by far!

1. I am glad that you like it 🙂