Reasons to visit Barcelona

Barcelona is a magnificent city, every time you travel there you have a different experience and you see things which you didn’t notice before. Also, it is the perfect destination for the weekend getaway.

Be aware that the first language of Catalonia isn’t Spanish but Catalan! It is a mixture of French and Spanish. Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia, which is a region in Spain that has a separate language, culture and traditional meals to the rest of the country. Those are a few reasons why you should visit this astonishing city!

The Architecture

Barcelona is famous for its monuments dotted around the city. The most popular architect is Antoni Gaudi whose works are highly respected, like the La Pedrera, Casa Vicens, and the Parc Gúell. Barcelona has many buildings, cathedrals and churches that helps you to soak up the rich history of the city.

Parc Güell

The park itself is free and you can easily enter it, although the colorful tiling is in the monumental zone in which you need to buy a ticket. You can do that online or next to the gates, but you have to consider that you buy a ticket for a specific time and you have only 30 minutes to enter the monumental zone. After you enter the zone you can be there as long as you want. Despite this restricted system be mentally prepared for a lot of tourists and that it will be pretty hard to get a perfect shot without hundreds of selfie sticks in the background.

The first time when I visited Barcelona we made a mistake and we waited until I think 7 pm when the entrance to monumental zone  is free. Trust me you don’t want to do that, because it gets dark very fast and you can’t see anything. We had to use flashlights on our phones to see the beautiful tiles and we couldn’t make any photos.

the architecture is fascinating! The whole place looks like from a dream, like it is a gingerbread house made from candies. Mosaiced colorful benches, archways, balconies  everything is just breathtaking and it wakes up the child sleeping inside.

park guel

Sagrada Familia

Sagrada Familia is the combination of Gothic and Art Nouveau styles and it looks so crazy! It reminds me of evil villain’s castle in cartoons which should be surrounded by dark clouds and a storm. Except it’s in the middle of the sunniest city in Spain. I love it and I hate it at the same time. Actually, we made a funny mistake when we visited Barcelona for the first time, we took the photos of the front of Sagrada Familia and that’s it, we didn’t go around the church and actually we saw only the Gothic part of Sagrada Familia. Make sure to walk around the Sagrada Familia.

Castell de Montjuic

The entry to the castle is only €3 or free on Sundays but it looks fair price, because there’s absolutely nothing there. Only one corridor, some walls and a small rundown garden. Although, I would still add the castle onto your Barcelona bucket list, because of the city’s panorama. Over the South walls from the castle the view  were over an industrial shipping port with rows of metal cargo and ships. It was not so nice sight. Although the views over the city on the opposite side were much nicer, you could see all the main objects in the city.

Arc de Triomf

I just want to make a point that I am not a huge fan of this kind of architecture. A lot of European cities have those arcs and I thought that if you saw one then you saw it all. However, this Arc de Triomf was quite impressive, because the whole atmosphere there were so energetic and you’ll spot it from a while away. When you walk from the Arc de Triomf, down the palm-tree lined promenade you will hear and see street artists, kids jumping around, people blowing giant bubbles and laughing tourists. It was such a vibrant and lively vibe.

The Arts

Another reason why you should visit this amazing city is for the culture and art. Artists such as Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dali helped Barcelona to get famous from artistic side.

Picasso museum

Picasso is one of the most famous artists, which is why the Pablo Picasso Museum Barcelona is so popular. While Pablo Picasso is best known for his cubist paintings, you will not see it in this museum. This Picasso Museum shows the artwork which he did during the early part of his life.

I really enjoyed this museum and I highly recommend it.

Las Ramblas

I think you heard about Las Ramblas, because it is the main street of Barcelona and the city center. Take your time there  and absorb the architecture of the place. Walk down the pedestrian area that runs down the centre of this street. Here you will find a lot of souvenir shops, cozy restaurants and everything which you need.

Check the best places to eat: Barcelona eat local

The Beaches

In Barcelona there are miles upon miles of wonderful beaches to explore. One of the most popular is Barceloneta beach which attracts people all year round. There are plenty activities to do, including water sports or you can just relax and watch surfing people at the beach.

beaches of Barcelona

Port de Barcelona

Take some wine and Paella at the local restaurant and enjoy the view of Port de Barcelona. Those lined up yachts and sailboats are so beautiful that it is impossible to forget that view.

port de barcelona

Watch out for your belongings!

Unfortunately, Barcelona is also known for pickpockets and I also have a bad experience with it, so make sure to stay safe during your trip. Read my blog : “How to stay safe while traveling”.

Places to stay in Barcelona

The perfect destination for the weekend getaway

Advertisements

60 Comments Add yours

1. Great blog!

We were in Barcelona a few months ago and we absolutely loved it! Park Guell, Sangrada Familia, the beaches, tapas, we loved it all! And the architecture… Wow! We even did a whole blog post about it!

You can find it here if you are interested:

Hope you like it!
    Derek & Carine

1. Thanks I will read about it! 💖 I also loved those tapas 😍

2. Natasha MacFarlane says:

Looks beautiful! I’ve never been but maybe one day!

Check out my blog,
    thoughtswithn.blogspot.com

1. You should travel there for sure! 😁

3. Barcelona is a beautiful city! I love all your pictures 💕💖

4. Ruth Shapter says:

My auntie and uncle live in Barcelona and it truly is a beautiful place 🙂 I love all of your pictures :3

1. Oh you are so lucky! Barcelona is astonishing 😍

5. laura dove says:

We are desperate to visit Barcelona and have been trying to get something booked. It looks amaizng and there is so much to see and do! I can’t wait to go!

1. I believe it will be just amazing trip!

6. Cris says:

Barcelona is definitely a city that everyone should visit at least once. It’s such a unique place!

1. Vist at least one and then come back 😁

7. lattelindsay says:

I think I would go there just for the beaches, they look amazing! It’s on my bucket list now 🙂

1. And the architecture is cool as well 😁

8. Many of Barcelona’s most famous attractions are building designed by the same person – Antoni Gaudi. which i would love to visit.

1. That is true 😁 he is just amazing

9. Trenye B. says:

Such a beautiful place and pictures. I am mesmerized with the architect. Barcelona is one of the places i would love to visit

1. You should really visit it 🙂

10. Tessa G says:

Oh, I’m so jealous! We were supposed to go there while I was still married, but we had to cancel because of a life-altering event. Someday!

1. You will go there 😊 I believe in you 😁

11. I would LOVE to see the city’s architecture! I adore European architecture. There’s truly nothing like it!

1. Barcelona is a great city to admire architecture ☺️

Liked by 1 person

12. Grace Vargas says:

Would love to visit Barcelona and see things you’ve listed here. Seems like a great place to explore!

1. I hope my list will help you when you will travel to Barcelona 😊

13. Barcelona is one of our favorite cities. We have visited a few times. There are so many reasons why to visit Barcelona, the culture, the food, the beaches, I can go on with so much more.

1. Maybe you wrote about Barcelona? I would love to read about it ☺️

14. stacey says:

I got a chance to visit Barcelona once. Our passport was stolen in Mallorca and we had to go here to get temp ones. I hope we go back for all the above and under better circumstances one day.

1. My bag with my passport, cellphone, money was stolen in Barcelona too 🙂 you just have to be extra careful in there 🙂

15. Devyani Ray says:

You got me at the beaches!

16. It looks so beautiful, I Love the tile work and the art district! I can’t wait to go see it for myself!

1. It is worth seeing 😉

17. Umesh says:

wow its nice place, thanks for sharing for beautiful pictures,

1. I hope it was helpful for you 🙂

18. Ben_C says:

Really nice visit. I did mostly all those places. Gaudi is for me a bit too much Waltdisney style but I understand that was a performance.

1. What do you think about Sagrada Familia? It is less colorful 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Ben_C says:

Yes it was on renovation when I was there few years ago. So did not had the chance to see much

2. I personally loved Gaudi 🙂 it is so unique 🙂

19. scrapbookadventures365 says:

Well you have convinced me! I would love to visit Barcelona – looks like so much culture and great food to be enjoyed!

1. Omg… the foooooood, it is so worth visistng Spain just for it 🙂 sea food especially 🙂

20. Barcelona is beautiful❤😍would love to visit the place.

1. You should put it to your bucket list 😁

21. The architecture and the beaches look truly fantastic. Our boys love architecture- I hope we can get them here someday!

1. Architecture here is really unique, you should visit it 🙂

22. Barcelona is so beautiful..offering so much to explore.From history to heritage to art.. there does not seem to be a dull moment as evident from this post when visiting Barcelona! Thanks for this guide!

1. Oh no… There’s nothing dull about trip to Barcelona 😁

23. wayfarerkate says:

Barcelona looks like the perfect city. I’m actually considering moving there 🙂

1. I lived in Valencia for 4 months, for how long you are planning to stay there?

24. Paul Healy says:

Barcelona is a great city, so much quality food, art, and general attractions. I”m looking forward to going back one day soon.

1. I believe that you have to visit Barcelona several time just to feel the apirit of tje city 😉

25. ansh997x says:

I love the Old School European Architecture. It is so beautiful to gaze and photograph. I am also really keen on experiencing Barcelona’s nightlife.

1. What do you mean for Old School European architecture? 😀

26. John Aiwone says:

Great write up! The architecture looks stunning, especially the ones in the Parc Guell. So much attention to detail. Also I didn’t know Catalan was a combination of French and Spanish. Guess you learn something new everyday haha!

Johnny | Johnny’s Traventures

1. Oh the Catalan language really surprised me to 😂 I didn’t know that before traveling. Actually, I didn’t know that it will be inpossible to have a conversation in English 😂

27. Great post! It seems like Barcelona is a city with so much to offer…I have to visit there soon!

1. Barcelona is the city which inapires 😀

28. Alex Rivera says:

Barcelona is a beautiful city. You did a great capture on this post. I was there many years ago and your post made me want to go back ASAP. Thanks for sharing.

1. Thanks! That’s such a lovely comment 😘

29. carrersbcn says:

Barcelona is magical! Great post!