Things to expect in Malta

It was my second time in Malta, but I have a strange feeling every time I visit it. I do not want to live in this country, but also I do not want to leave it. This time my visit was a bit different because I less explored the country and more experienced the culture and the local life.I decided to stress some pluses and minuses of visiting Malta and what to expect before your travel.

Advantages of Malta

History

Malta have more than 7000 years, colourful history. The country have been conquered over and over again and you will find evidence of it wherever you go on this sunny island. I dropped my jaw more than once seeing ancient temples, fortresses, castles one more beautiful and larger than the other.

To understand the Maltese history I recommend to visit war museum. It is interactive and you will see so many amazing weapons.

Read my blog post: “Once in Malta” for more ideas what to do in Malta.

Falling in love with Malta

Climate

In Malta climate is pleasant all year round and it is one of most sun safe destinations in Europe. It is rarely below 10ºC. I visited Malta in January and as an Eastern European girl it was possible for me to have a swim in the sea. It is so amazing to be able to walk in a dress or just T-shirts with a light jacket.

On summer time it is boiling hot, but the great thing is that you are in the island and there is water everywhere.  Malta offer a large variety of wonderful beaches, from the long sandy beach to natural pool. Do not forget to bring a snorkel because water here is crystal clear and underwater life is just extraordinary. Check best beaches here.

Pool in Sliema

The best time to enjoy Malta is from October till April. You will have the whole beach to yourself and it is not too crowded. Winter and early spring are perfect for travelling around the island, and you can get everywhere by the public transport. I recommend to buy at the airport a 12 journey public transport card for 15€. It will be enough to visit all the island and way easier than to buy a ticket every time you enter a bus.

Beaches in Malta

English language

This island was part of British Empire that’s why both English and Maltese are official languages. You will not have any trouble making yourself understood, because most of the locals are fluent in English.

Nightlife

If you like to party it is a place for you. St Julian’s have plenty of nightclubs and bars and you will definitely find what you like. I had so much fun in Russian karaoke bar, it was unbelievable.

Also, I met one British girl who said that she had so much fun in Paceville that for the whole week she didn’t even had a chance to explore Malta. Fun fact, there is way more guys in Malta than girls so if you are a girl then be prepared for some attention.

Nightlife in Malta

Food

Seafood, wine, fruits and vegetables are so yummy in Malta, it is so fresh and not too expensive. If you are a foodie then be prepared for some pleasure. Especially, visit Marsaxlokk colourful food Market on Sunday.

Amazing Maltese food places

Disadvantages of Malta

The traffic

The traffic in Malta is crazy if you need to catch a flight don’t even consider public transport and just take a taxi. I personally almost missed my flight and I was running to the closing gates and no I am not an irresponsible person I had 2,5 hours until my flight and only 40 minutes drive by public transport.

Expect crowded buses, long delays, slow traffic when travelling in and out major cities. Buses run better during off-peak season, but on summertime expect a nightmare and being late.

So many people

Malta can be a bit crowded. A population nearing a half million with an area around 100 square miles and all the tourists during Summer. Be prepared for crowded cafes, beaches, historical places and just waiting in lines.

Crowded beaches

Customer service

While people in Malta are generally welcoming and helpful, I’ve seen numerous restaurant staff, bus drivers, and shop owners being tired of tourists and all their questions. Do not take it too personally if the person serving you is rude, avoids eye contact or is too busy having a break.

If you ever consider living in Malta I highly recommend to read a Jean Galea blog ”Why I left Malta”.

I still in love with Malta and I am already planning my next trip. While I was on the bus to the airport I met a guy who spend his whole week scuba diving and his stories about sank airplanes and ships which he saw inspired me to plan scuba diving for my next trip to Malta.

Just watch this amazing video of scuba diving in Malta:

So what to expect in Malta? Trust me, you will want to visit it again.

Things to expect in Malta
What to expect in Malta

39 Comments Add yours

1. Inna says:

I really wanna visit Malta! How long have you stayed there? The scuba diving video is insaaaane!

1. I have been there two times and I stayed for four days 🙂 I recommend you to go there from August till December (don’t go there on June and July trust me on this 🙂 ) One week is enough to visit everyting there 🙂

1. Inna says:

Thanks for the recommendation 🙂

2. CorinaCorina says:

thank you for sharing, always said one day we will go and visit Malta ….

3. Malta is on my list of places to visit for sure, but it sounds like peak season is a nightmare. Will definitely plan for off-season. Is it still warm enough to swim then?

1. That’s true it is too crowded on a summertime, the best time is from August till December and yes it is still warm enough to swim 🙂

4. Maria says:

That’s one great Malta travel guide! I didn’t know that there was an interactive museum in Malta. I love them! Thanks for the tip!

5. I’ve been seeing good deals on airfare to Malta, but I’ll need to keep in mind that peak season gets extremely crowded. The first time I heard about visiting Malta was from a friend who had a connecting flight there on her way to Turkey. Love the idea of pairing this beautiful place with another destination!

1. Oh yes Turkey and Malta would be a great trip 👌

6. Andrew Koscielecky says:

I visited Malta 6 years ago. To be honed, I didn’t enjoy the island. Is too small for me. 3 days is enough to discover whole island!

1. Why you didn’t like it?

7. Great post about Malta, its helpful to know about the crazy, busy aspect of the island, I never would have expected it to be that busy with it being so small 🙂

1. It is so busy because it is small 😀

8. alison netzer says:

I’ve never thought of visiting Malta, but your post has definitely made me curious. The beaches sound amazing (i love a good beach destination) and clear water is always a bonus for me. Ihope you didn’t receive too much unwanted attention while hitting the bars!

1. No, the attention was okey 😁 I had no problems with it

9. Claire says:

This made me dream of a Mediterranean vacation and the summer. I really want to go to Malta, it looks great!

1. Malta is amazing! The food, beaches and the city everything is worth taking a picture

10. Chandni says:

Malta sounds like a fun place, especially, St Julian’s. Wouldn’t have thought it gets so crowded though.

11. Simone says:

Well, Malta was on my plan, and definitely will take your advice by going between October and April! I love beaches, but not crowded at all! Thanks for some usefull tips!

1. Yes! You chose the best time for travel to Malta

12. Daniel says:

Seems like a lovely place to visit. It has always been on my bucket list but after reading your article it climbed a few spots up on the list. Thank you for sharing

1. I am so happy to hear that! 🙂

13. Ee Sing says:

Noted on the travel period. I dislike travelling during the peak season because you dont enjoy the crowd and it can be a pain in the public transport!

1. Yes, the public transport in Summer is the worst…

14. Love the Med. Good food, nice climate. Beautiful people. What a place!

1. Oh yeah everything is just great there

15. Navita says:

Loved the way it is described what to expect when visiting Malta. From beach to food to nightlife.. all are so inviting! Since you mentioned about the traffic and crowds along with the tips on how it will be, I think would be good idea to plan a visit during off season!

1. I hope you will visit Malta someday 🙂

16. bordersandbucketlists says:

ooh this was such an interesting read! Honestly, I know absolutely nothing about Malta, but it seems like such a fun place to visit!

17. Federica Provolenti says:

I have never been to Malta but I am curious about visiting it. Do you think that renting a car would be the best option to move around as a family with kids?

18. Alexander Popkov says:

Heh. My friends went to Malta to study English. But what they actually did was party party party party!!!!

19. Katie says:

I have never been to Malta but your post is making me want to visit. Good food, beaches and sunny weather. What more could you ask for!?!

20. We are hoping to head to Malta next year. I would love to see it from a locals perspective as I know it can be quite touristy. Thanks for the tips Kamile 🙂

21. Suz says:

We have just got back from a week in Gozo and having read this I now wish we had spent more time on Malta. Lots of ideas for my next trip over there.

22. A very helpful and honest overview. I like that you are so open about some of the downsides – it gives a very clear picture of what to expect. Thank you for sharing!

23. elizabeth says:

Planning to visit again – so I have saved your post, such a beautiful islands with lots of great things to see and do. Bookmarked your post.

24. I was in Malta recently and luckily I didn’t have any problems about traffic. Maybe it’s because we took our hotel out from the busy life of Veletta and we rented a car. Frankly speaking public transportation is convenient if you are in a budget but other things in malta are cheap as well even renting a car was so cheap. By the way I love your Scuba diving video!